PLEASE: read these words carefully...
Jefferson commented a century or two ago, as etched into the Marble of his monument, that laws must evolve in accord with the human spirit and its discoveries. He is right. It is an essential must do; many societal problems and 'roadblocks' to progress root in the failure for this to occur.
Further, Jefferson I think would agree that obsolescence, when recognized by a duty bound public servant, should carry forward ASAP to a much needed "delete button".
I suspect that such a delete button is yet to be invented.
California and San Francisco edition in example:
- Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
- Peeling an orange in your hotel room is banned
- It is illegal to posses bear gall bladders.
- It is illegal to trip horses for entertainment.
- Prostitutes are not obliged to make change for bills larger than $50.
- There is a law that prohibits elephants from strolling down Market Street in San Francisco unless they are on a leash.
- It is illegal to pile horse manure more than six feet high on a street corner
- It is illegal to wipe one’s car with used underwear
I will append this list as more laws are identified as candidates for the delete button.
Image: Words in Marble Jefferson Memorial, hand-tinted, BH © 1978
to purchase this image and view our web galleries